Hello! I’m a freelance location sound woman based in Chicago, IL and working worldwide. My credits include feature-length documentaries like:
- Becoming (Michelle Obama Documentary, Netflix, 2020, dir. Nadia Hallgren)
- And She Could Be Next (Tribeca, POV, 2020, dir. Grace Lee and Marjan Safinia, prod. Jyoti Sarda)
- America To Me (Sundance, 2018, dir. Steve James)
- Untitled Indigo Girls Documentary (in production, dir. Alexandria Bombach)
- The Dilemma of Desire (SXSW, 2020, dir. Maria Finitzo)
- Radical Grace (Hot Docs, 2015, dir. Rebecca Parrish)
- Any Given Day (in production, dir. Margaret Byrne)
- True Memories and Other Falsehoods (in production, dir. Debra Tolchinsky)
- For The Left Hand (in production, dir. Gordon Quinn and Leslie Simmer)
I trained at Northwestern University and have been freelancing for the last 11 years.
My passion is working on documentary film sets. I have experience working in all kinds of conditions, whether it’s in tiny rooms, in large crowds, or in “ninja-stealth mode” in tricky situations.
Documentary crews tend to be small, so with all-rounded production knowledge (I also DP and direct), I’m always ready to lend a helping hand in other production aspects, whenever the team is in a pinch.
Fellow crew members have told me I have a great work ethic, am a calm problem-solver, and have the ability to put people at ease. I’m also petite and can easily hide in nooks and crannies to stay out of the shot.
I truly enjoy the work I do, and am looking forward to working with you.
Reach me anytime for your upcoming sound person needs. I am based in Chicago, but frequently travel for projects. Shuling Yong at email@example.com or (224) 735-0541